Thursday, January 3

Christmas Cards


It feels like it's been forever since I've written here! The holidays seem to slow me down. It's like I was a huge hunk of fruitcake trying to maneuver my way through a landscape also made of fruitcake. But the holidays are finally over, and I do have some things to show for it. I spent my time making gifts of course. As a result, I feel more like a crafter than an artist right now. I'm just trying to go with it...

The little Christmas cards pictured here are special because they were my very first silk screening project. It was definitely a learning experience. I tried using the "positive" drawing fluid method first, but when I added the screen filler on top the drawing fluid, the images blurred quite badly. I'm sure there's a knack to it, but I don't have it. So, I ended up just using the "negative" method with the screen filler alone. It was time consuming, (and that screen filler is a bitch to clean off the screen because you have to apply a pretty thick layer), but it worked out well enough for the cards.

Next year I hope to be a bit more ahead of schedule so I can sell some cards on Etsy.

No comments: